WordPress, Joomla, and Drupal are some of the best CMS platforms that have dominated the market for a long duration. Choosing the right platform among the 3 can be an uphill task especially if you do not know how they compare.
Today, WordPress seems to be the king of the game with over 58% of the websites based on CMS market share, Joomla comes second with a market share of 7%, while Drupal is third with a CMS market share of 4%.
To help you decide the best platform for your website, here is a comparison between them:
- Software: All the free platforms have a free and open source where one can operate his website without any charges. You will be able to download the software, use it, and even make some modifications.
- Market share: the most popular platform is WordPress which has a CMS market share of 58.9%, Joomla comes second with a 7.0% CMS market share, while Drupal has the least percentage at 4.7%.
- Installation: the easiest software to install is WordPress where it will only take 5 minutes to complete the installation. Joomla and Drupal will take longer as one will take a maximum of 10 minutes to have the software installed.
- Design: WordPress has over 4500 free themes and over 9500 premium themes that one can choose from. There is no directory that contains official template on Joomla; all the customers have access to is the over 950 premium Joomla templates. Drupal has over 200 official themes and over 450n premium themes.
- Ease of use: WordPress is the easiest software to use especially for beginners, Joomla comes second though it is more complex than WordPress but for Drupal, a person who needs to operate must have coding skills.
All the three CMS platforms are good and the choice will depend on your personal preference. If you need software that is easy to use and one that most of the users prefer, WordPress is the best option. If, on the other hand, you are a technical person and do not mind a more complex CMS platform, Drupal will be a good option. If you need something in between which is neither too complex nor too simple, you can choose Joomla.
If you are still not sure about the best platform for you, the only option would be to download the free version of the 3 CMS platforms and conduct a trial on them. You can then settle for the one that will work best for you.